Sunday, January 12, 2014

Healthy Breakfast: Pinakbet (Filipino Vegetable Dish)



Since it’s a Sunday, I woke up really early after having spent 11-12 hours of sleep. It was around 6AM and my tummy is churning because I am huuungry and I am craving for my healthy breakfast! I went to the kitchen and no one is cooking yet. I went to the other room and woke up Mae, our helper. I checked the fridge and found out that we still have veggies that are 2 weeks old from purchase. This is actually a good way to have a healthy breakfast. I took out the local ones – squash, string beans, eggplant and winged beans. There are vegetables with lots of nutrients and will make one a hearty breakfast and a healthy body. I gave her my instructions to peel and slice the veggies, buy shrimp and fish in the market. After 30 minutes or so, I realized that she went out already, done with the slicing but not including the garlic and onion. So, I just decided to slice them myself and helped out in cooking. I used Mama Sita’s Oyster Sauce to make my Pinakbet tasty. I am almost halfway to my cooking when Mae arrived. Oh well, honestly I am irritated but I did not say anything because I don’t want to spoil my quest for having a healthy breakfast daily. I just let out a not so loud sigh and put my hand on my waist. I want to start my morning with a positive attitude and not to mind the little irritants. Oh well.

Then, I also cooked buttered shrimp. Yum! I can imagine me eating my healthy breakfast now. I just actually paused because I want to wait for my husband to wake up so we can eat together. 


Pinakbet (Filipino Vegetable Dish) is a popular vegetable dish in the Philippines. Pork is often added for flavor, but since we are aiming for a healthy breakfast, we will use shrimp as an ingredient.
Healthy Breakfast Recipe: PINAKBET

2 medium-length eggplants, cubed
1 medium-length bitter melon (ampalaya), sliced
6 tender okra pods
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup of sliced onions
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1 cup water from rinsing rice
3 tbsp fermented sauce (less if it's a salty bagoong)
1 tbsp pounded ginger
1 cup shrimp
2 tbsp olive oil (for a healthier breakfast)

Healthy Breakfast: HOW TO PREPARE

1. In a pan, fry the shrimps. Set aside.
2. In the same pan, stir-fry the garlic, onions, ginger and tomatoes.

3.  Boil the rice-washing water in a large pan (2-qt capacity) with the bagoong.
4. Add the pork and the stir-fried garlic, onion, ginger and tomatoes.

5. Bring back to a boil, then add the ampalaya, eggplant and okra.
6. Cover the pan and cook over high heat, then turn down the heat to prevent scorching.
7. Cook until the vegetables are done. 


Healthy Breakfast tips: Don't overcook because the vegetables will lose their bright colors and become mushy. It also loses its nutrients and will defeat our purpose of having a healthy breakfast.
Healthy Breakfast variations: Feel free to vary the ingredients. For instance, squash (kalabasa) is a popular ingredient because it adds a bright orange color to the dish. String beans (sitaw) are another popular vegetable in pakbet.  If you don't have bagoong on hand, just use salt or fish sauce.

Healthy Breakfast Reference:


No comments:

Post a Comment